Monday, July 13, 2015

CSA Newsletter ~ Week 5

Wagon seven of hay! Just second cut to go!
It has been all go at the farm over the last week and with the heat arriving, the heat loving crops are starting to take off! We could do with a little bit of rain only because our solar pump has not been happy and we are still waiting for a new pump to arrive! Fingers and toes crossed it arrives sooner rather than later!!







This Friday we will have another Brit joining us at the farm! So another accent for everyone to get used to!  Alex is an agriculture student from the UK and we thought it would be better for him to give you a blurb about himself, so here it is!

"I am a twenty year old agriculture student who is studying for a foundation degree in agriculture in Plumpton, East Sussex.  I have just finished my first year of a two year course and I am looking forward to going back in September.  I am not from a farming background however for the last five years I have worked on a small local farm after completing two years work experience there.  It was working at Hengest Farm that inspired me to pursue a career in agriculture and it has become a real passion of mine.  As well as studying and working I am also a keen member of the National Federation of Young Farmers and I have taken part in in a number of competitions with them such as stock judging and fence erecting.  I am looking forward to my trip to Canada as it will be an amazing opportunity to learn and gain experience in different aspects in farming".



This weeks basket:
Cabbage - 10 different ways to eat Cabbage
Salad onions - Replace your onions with your salad onions
Kale - Kale and chicken salad
Peas
Zucchini - Raw zucchini salad
Beets - One of our CSA members sent me this amazing recipe for beet pesto, kale and goat cheese pizza! We made it at the weekend and it was amazing.  As ever I did make a few modifications as I used what I had rather than buying in other ingredients.  For the pesto I used scapes instead of garlic, pecans instead of walnuts and I replaced the cheese with pumpkin seeds! We did not use mozzarella as we make our own cheese so I just topped the pizza off with cherve. 
You can also use any type of pizza crust for this. We made an almond meal one. The recipe for our Pizza base is - 2 cups of almond meal, 2 eggs, 3 tbsp of olive oil, 1/2tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp of sea salt.  Mix the base together.  Wet your hands and then press the base out on a pizza plate.  Bake the base in a 350F oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
Lettuce
Kohlrabi
Fennelfennel cabbage slaw or another alternative is to top your pizza off with fennel.  Thinly slice the fennel and cook in a little olive oil until soft. You can also add onion and garlic if you wish.  For the sauce we use scape pesto but you can also use tomato or basil pesto.  Spread sauce over base, then fennel, season with salt and pepper add your cheese and bake in the oven for another 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
One of our CSA members sent in this recipe for Lemon Fennel Slaw and has given it a thumbs up!
Beans - Just a small amount this week! summer salad with beans, beets and goat cheese.
Chinese Cabbage or Radicchio

No comments:

Post a Comment