Monday, May 2, 2011

Power Outage....

chicks staying warm by the stove.
Thursday brought a huge windstorm to most of eastern Ontario and for us a day without power and several days without internet.
The power outage brings a little bit of panic when you have day old chicks under heat lamps in the brood house!  We decided the best option for the Orpington Buffs was to bring them into the house and light the wood stove to keep them warm.
Michael chose a more Victorian approach when it came to keeping heat in the brood house for the older chicks. This was to place several metal trays on the floor filled with candles.  We were both surprised at how much heat tea lights can create.  It also smelt lovely as Michael used all my scented candles!
We where rather lucky as the electricity came back on at 17.30hrs. We are not sure what we would have done if like some of the homes in this area who reached today, Monday, 4 days after the storm and still had no power.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love this blog so much. You are living the life I swear I was meant to lead! What lovely people you are! Just browsing some of the blog hop blogs and I wanted to say hi! I will follow you as well<3
    Monika @ Aias Dot Ca (http://www.aias.ca)

    ReplyDelete